Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 

A tool that should be in every ALG programmers utility belt


I taught middle and high school English for 12 years. You know the drill: lots of spelling, vocabulary and grammar, composition practice, some literature, and a different Shakespeare play every year. But mostly grammar and usage. So much so that I was sure I knew enough about English grammar to embark on my first ALG project and build its grammar just from what was in my head. So wrong! It took Quirk, et. al.'s A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language to get me anywhere near the place I needed to be to construct a grammar out of OOP classes. Eventually I tired of playing dueling recall requests with whoever else needed it and bought my own. I consult it every day that I work on an ALG project. It's well worth the price.

Comments:
Hey ! I got that one too ! It is a real gem... if it could be, the title word "comprehensive" would be an understatement.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?