Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

Courage is as courage does


During his talk Friday evening at Slought, Barrett Watten, referred to (and showed) the Bruce Andrews Fox News clip. Watten seemed to be saying that Andrews is to be lauded for resisting Red baiting (or academic baiting) by deflecting O'Reilly's questions. And that "resistance" like this is a good thing. And somewhere in the talk Allen Ginsburg was referenced as another example of a brave soldier in the army of righteousness. (I made up the soldier part, but you get the idea.)

On my...

When Ginsburg said "Amercia, go fuck yourself with your atom bomb" and "I smoke marijuana every chance I get," he was taking a real chance--of imprisonment or personal harm. Real resistance implies personal risk. What's Andrews, with all of the civil protections tenure affords risking? Not much, I think.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?