Thursday, June 28, 2007

 

The fascination of all things difficult


I've started preparing for fall's classes. Some folks might think that I'm premature, starting before the summer has barely begun. But the performance expectations at Wharton run high and an old coder like me can only meet them if he works harder than anybody else (same reason I could compete with younger consultants back in the day--put in the time and the prep and good things will come your way).

We're updating course content this year to include discussions and labs on a variety of languages. So I've been developing materials in Perl, Python, and Java. I used Python for the first etc (way back in 2001) but haven't touched in since. I had gotten pretty fluent in the language back then. But now it's as if I'd never touched it. I get rusty really fast.

What strikes me (and always does) is just how hard it is to learn a programming language. Experienced programmers always seem to forget that as they bemoan the moronic newbie.

That and how addictive learning languages is. Very strange.

Comments:
Wow, you sure start early. Your dedication and commitment are impressive and believe me - as a student, we can definitely tell when a class has been thought through and prepared. Bravo :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?