Monday, September 24, 2007

 

Erica 1.0.1


I've deployed an interim etc3 release here. The most significant change is the addition of a grammar I modeled after selected lines from Sylvia Plath. As I note on the help page, that's not because I like her work (I don't), but because the "standard" poetic markers are so much in evidence there. I've learned a lot in working through this grammar, about what it takes in terms of syntactic critical mass to simulate originality, how to make an utterance self-referential, how to categorize words in ways that support and are supported by a grammar. (Learned enough, I think, so that I'm ready to model a grammar after a language poet--how's that for irony?)

As part of the installation, I trashed the poems folks had "composed" on the site (over 400), replacing them with a few from the Web site's tests. Most of the poems I've been posting here are from the desktop version's testing. So you won't see much duplication.

As I've said before, I vacillate between thinking that the generated works should be preserved (for whatever reason: to maintain a record of test results, to entertain visitors, to massage the ego) and that they should be immediately discarded after the initial reading.

Comments:
i am intrigued by the idea of ditching the poems after a first read. like music, or a breeze.
 
electronic writing ii, your comment invites some questions. music can be preserved, by recording and by scoring. "ditched" music would then have to be un-recored improvisation. is it the case then that text generation is improv? is the code underneath a score? viewed this way, not. is the code a "record" of the text? again, from here, not. hmmm...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?